find resources:
For Los Angeles County, visit the Recorder or County Clerk where you were born - Search for local office info near you below

Enter your zipcode

For outside of Los Angeles County, contact the Vital Records office where you were born.  In most cases, online ordering is available.
There are also some places that can help you get birth certificates for a fee. VitalChek is one of them. - Click the button to visit their website.


People born in the US have a Social Security Number (SSN). An SSN is needed for a California ID, Drivers License, or US Passport can be used at the Social Security Office to prove identity. California ID or Drivers License, Most jobs, Retirement benefits - Search local office info near you below.

Enter your zipcode

For an ID or Driver’s License visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Want to avoid long waits? Make an appointment in advance! Click here to make one online. - Search for local office info below. 

Enter your zipcode

Individuals have the right to request a copy of their own criminal history record from the Department to review for accuracy and completeness.

Livescan fingerprints are required for this request. Click the "fingerprints" link for locations that provide Livescan fingerprints. Fingerprints

Click the "instructions" link for details on completing the form.

A fee waiver may be available for the RAP sheet request. A charge will still apply for fingerprints. Neighborhood Legal Services has a document that explains the fee waiver process. Click here for details and the necessary forms.

Internet access is available for free at the library. Visit the library for information on how to obtain a library card (Identification is required) - Search for Library Card/Internet Access near you below

Enter Your Zipcode

No current events