find resources:
Veterans Benefits
One way to explore veteran benefit options that are available, is to visit the eBenefits website. eBenefits is a one-stop shop that provides information and online applications for a variety of veteran benefits. eBenefits also provides online access to Veterans Administration (VA) health records.

MyArmy Benefits has links and information for veterans benefits that are specific to California. The information applies to veterans of all branches of service.

The National Resource Directory (NRD) is partnership between the Departments of Defense, Labor, and Veterans Affairs. Veterans, their family members, can caregivers can connect with a variety of resources and organizations.


Community Entry Events provide an opportunity for veterans to connect with service providers and access services in a supportive community-type setting.

If you are planning on attending a Community Connect Event, having the following documents with you will help ensure you can connect with the broadest range of potential services on that day. However, these documents are not required to simply attend the event, and some of the service providers may be able to help you obtain documentation for other benefits and resources.

  • Valid State ID (or VA if absent)
  • Social Security Card
  • DD214 (must have for HACoLA)
  • Proof of Income (award letters dated within 30 days and from all sources).
  • Bank Statements (3 most current months, if applicable)
  • Marriage license (if married)
  • Proof of Custody (if separated from spouse and children will reside with veteran)
  • Birth Certificate of Child (for all children that will be residing with the veteran)

Please see our Community Calendar for any upcoming Community Entry Events. 

A good way to find out about benefits is to talk to a certified Veterans Service Officer. It is important to establish eligibility, even for future benefit needs. Remember qualified assistance with veterans benefits is always available for free. Find a local Veterans Service Office:

Enter your zipcode

Bob Hope Patriotic Hall is located in downtown Los Angeles and houses several different agencies that serve veterans including the Los Angeles County Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. It is a centralized place to get connected with benefits assistance, legal assistance, counseling, substance abuse treatment, and other service providers.

California Department of Veteran Affairs (CALVET) can assist with Veterans Benefits, Veteran Home Loans, and a variety of other veteran services. 

Veterans that are also managing a disability or have questions about their disability may consider reaching out to the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) for specialized guidance with their benefits.
The DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty is the official documentation provided to veterans upon separation from active military service for all branches of the Armed Forces. This is an important document in accessing a variety of veterans services.
There are a couple ways your DD-214 can be accessed. The eBenefits provides online access for users that have a Premium account. The Premium account is free, but specific registration and logon information is required. Also, the DD-214 can be requested from the National Archives. When requesting your DD-214 from the National Archives. the request form can be completed online at the website, however the form needs to be mailed or faxed with a signature. Full details and instructions are at both websites.
Records can be requested by the servicemember or by family/next-of-kin. The required information to request service records are:
  • The veteran's complete name used while in service
  • Service number
  • Social Security Number
  • Branch of service
  • Dates of service
  • Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).
  • If you are the next of kin of deceased veteran, you must provide proof of death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.

You can find the status of your DD-214 request from the National Archives here.

The Board of Veterans Appeals is a part of the Veterans Administration (VA) and review appeals for veteran benefits. For organizations that can provide advocacy and assistance with an appeal use the search below. Search for local resources near you below. 

Enter your zipcode

There are a number of resources available for veterans that may be experiencing homelessness. The Veterans Administration (VA) has a compilation of some of the benefits and resources available here. In addition the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans has a 24/7 crisis line that can also assist, click the link for the number.